December 2, 2008

Hollywood Feminist of the Day: Nicole Kidman

I have always been impressed with Nicole Kidman's choice of roles. She takes on parts that are challenging and the characters are not always likable (i.e. Birth, Margot at the Wedding). Some of the films work, some don't, but she is always interesting to watch.

But, I am even more impressed with her work for UNIFEM to end violence against women. She seems to really believe in the work. Last week during the press tour for Australia she showed up at the UN to deliver a petition with over 5 million signatures calling on governments around the world to make violence against women a priority.

Here's why she decided to do this work:

"The reason I chose the subject of women is because I was raised by a mother who was very passionate about having her daughters educated and wanted her daughters to have equal opportunities, and I'm a product of that.

"So now I'm out there hoping to pass on to the next generation and work in a greater capacity than just as an actress," Kidman said.

Cool Nicole Kidman turns heat on violence epidemic (Herald Sun)
Photo: Janet Mayer/PR Photos